Searching...
Sunday 26 May 2013

Ms Motormouth: Mallika Sherawat

Mallika Sherawat makes outrageous statements in an interview in Cannes.
Mallika Sherawat
Mallika Sherawat
Mallika Sherawat’s statements in an interview to Variety magazine while in Cannes recently, is likely to make your jaw drop. She spoke about her new film Dirty Politics and about women’s rights in India and how that relates to the biopic.

She claimed, “India is such a hypocritical society where women are really at the bottom of society compared to men...” She continued in her ridiculous fake accent, “I was the first actress in India to kiss onscreen and wear a bikini.Imagine this in the 21st century. And instantly, I became a fallen women and a superstar at the same time. There is a moral code that this is what a leading lady can do. I did everything I was not supposed to do. I made a conscious decision to divide my time between LA and India.

Now when I experience the social freedom in America, and go back to India, which is so regressive, it is depressing. There are many new young directors, filmmakers who are very inspired by American and European cinema. But that is a very small section. I want to make cinema that is meaningful. I was one of those actresses who said, ‘In the 21st century how are you going to show passion on screen? It cannot be symbolic anymore.

We got to kiss onscreen.’

Dear Ms Sherawat, you are NOT the first actress in India to kiss and neither are you the first actress to wear a bikini. The first Indian actress to kiss onscreen was Devika Rani with Himanshu Rai way back in Karma (1933) and Sharmila Tagore wore a bikini in An evening In Paris (1967)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!