Searching...
Sunday 26 May 2013

Seen and heard in Cannes

UNCOMFORTABLE MOMENTS FOR ACTRESS AS DAD WATCH LOVE SCENES:
Talk about awkward.
Not only did Adele Exarchopoulos' father watch the graphic sex scenes between her and another woman in the movie "Blue Is The Warmest Color (La Vie D'Adele)," in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, she was with him when he took in the film at its premier.
"During the love scenes I was ill at ease with my father being there, but at the same time I wanted him to be there. And I knew that he would probably have a very good reaction because it's all a question of intelligence and he's intelligent and therefore would understand," said Exarchopoulos.
She added:
"During the sex scene I was looking at him, like, 'Oh my god, how does he feel' because I don't want to make him uncomfortable, you know?" the 19-year-old said in an interview. "I think I was trying to take a certain distance from what was happening during the love scenes."
In the film, Exarchopoulos stars as 15-year-old Adele. She's heterosexual, but after meeting co-star Lea Seydoux's Emma, falls in love and begins to struggle with her sexuality.
Exarchopoulos said she and Seydoux shared nervous giggles before filming the intimate scenes, but that's it.
"It really developed, there was no choreography at all. We tried to put ourselves in the situation, and it helped in a way that I was new to the situation because my character is new to the situation as well," she said. "So it was alright that I was destabilized. Lea was leading me and I was kind of following in the flow. But I must say it was a strong thing to play."
This is one of two films Seydoux is promoting at this year's festival. The other, "Grand Central," from director Rebecca Zlotowski, is showing in the Un Certain Regard category.
The actress, who cut her hair and dyed it blue for "Adele," said she liked the challenge of her role.
"I really enjoyed playing this part, this tomboy even if it was very difficult sometimes. I like to play parts that are complex, and I like ambiguity and I like contradictions as well, she's like, I like to really give something very subtle," she said.
-Reetu Rupal, http://www.twitter.com/r2today
LI YU CHUN IS BREAKING THE MOLD
Li Yu Chun doesn't exactly mesh with the image of most starlets who walk on the red carpets at the Cannes Film Festival.
Instead of flowing gowns, the Chinese singer has worn dramatic capes that accompany striking pantsuits. And while many female celebrities sport cascading locks, Chun has her hair cut short, pixie style.
"A lot of people are asking me 'Why aren't you wearing a long dress like a princess?'" said Chun, who came to the festival as a representative of the cosmetics brand L'Oreal. "I have another personality and that is why I have to show my own personality with the suits that fit me. That is why I love to work with L'Oreal because they have given me self-confidence."
Chun, who is known for her boyish, androgynous looks, said she was surprised to be chosen as a L'Oreal ambassador since she represents a different look than some of their other representatives at the festival, like Freida Pinto, Julianne Moore, Aishwarya Rai and Eva Longoria.
"Usually they choose girls with long hair and big waves in her hair and that is not exactly my image," she laughed. "That is why I was surprised but happily surprised."
Chun shot to fame when she won "Chinese Best Voices," that country's version of "American Idol. She said she was excited to be in Cannes for the festivities, but was also getting some work done as well.
"I am also participating in their meetings to discuss about how to represent and how to organize promoting events," the 29-year-old said. "They are organizing a lot of activities for me too and this is why I find it very very exciting."
- Sian Watson, http://www.twitter.com/sianwatson
'JIMMY P' ROLES WERE MADE FOR DEL TORO AND AMALRIC - LITERALLY
For director Arnaud Desplechin, it was either Benicio Del Toro and Mathieu Amalric for "Jimmy P" or no movie.
"I thought if I can't have them, I won't do the film," he said in an interview this week.
Luckily for him, both Benicio Del Toro and Mathieu Amalric said yes to the project.
In "Jimmy P (Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian)," Amalric plays real-life French analyst Georges Devereux, who moved to the United States in the 1930s. He spent time living with Mojave Indians and helped develop the field of ethno-psychiatry, which studies the ways mental illness is understood in different cultural contexts.
Del Toro is his patient Jimmy Picard, who returned from World War II in France with a head injury and debilitating psychological symptoms his doctors were unable to diagnose.
Desplechin said it's the first time he's written a film with actors already in mind.
"I was so nervous when I started it because it was quite difficult to produce because the film is half French, half American, so it was quite tricky," he said. "So before writing it I was thinking who could play in that? I wrote it really for Benicio and Mathieu, they were the two guys.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!