Searching...
Tuesday 30 April 2013

Anurag Kashyap: There was 14 years of silence between me & Bachchan saab

The ace film maker Anurag Kashyap is all set to refresh his early days in Mumbai by his upcoming film 'Bombay Talkies' which is a celebration of completion of 100 years of Indian Cinema. Anurag's film is about a Bachchan fan who sits out his superstar bungalow to get his glimpse. IndiaGlitz got candid with this ace filmmaker and talked about his journey.
How Bombay Talkies is made?
It is the wonder of Ashi Dua. She is a kid. She got an idea, passion which drives her to make Bombay talkies.
In 100 years of cinema lot of things happened so how you going to present that in your film?
Our film is not about completion of 100years of cinema but on the occasion of 100 year completion. It is about the people because of whom Indian cinema reached 100 years. This film celebrates that.
When the film was offered to you the story was already there or you prepared it later?
This story was already there but I never got the chance to make it.
What is the story of your film?
The story is about a boy who comes to Mumbai and he wants to finish work which cannot be complete without Bachchan saab. Lot of people stand outside Bachchan saab house in the hope of watching his superstar. In the film the main protagonist is the boy and the Bachchan Saab's Bungalow. The staff of bachchan house also worked in the film.
Did Bachchan Saab give any input for the film?
The biggest contribution of his that he allowed me to shoot at his place. 2 days we did shooting and he treated us with hospitality and offered us jalebis and rabadis. His staffed helped a lot and they acted in the film as well.
How you will define the aura of Big B aura in 70s and now?
The aura is still there. At that time there was no globalisation. India was a third world. Big B has given the strength to the middle class people to fulfil the dreams. If Amithabh sir wasn't there then no small city people have come out of there world. He has contributed a lot. Today's time is different. Today people follow Salman Khan blindly. They want that lifestyle, attitude. The dreams Bachchan sir has given that nobody has given after that.
How big fan of him you are?
I am a big Amithabh Bachchan fan. I am from lower middle class small city person. I have being is biggest fan and he has big impact in my life.
Have you ever stood outside Bachchan Saab house?
On holiday we used to sit outside to get his glimpse.
Do you remember your 1st meeting with Big B sir?
I met him 1st in year 1999. At that time I was a writer and I was very young and was very choosy of doing films.
It was the rumoured that there is a conflict between you and Big B during Kheley Hum Jee Jaan Se?
There was conflict between us. It was actually silence for 14 years.  We never used to talk. There were so many reasons for that. We never had direct word with each other. Then the article about black Friday came. What I feel I used to say. People used to say that he is angry and even I never tried to sort it out. There was so much silence between us and now it is over. It's his generosity which ended this. Even after all these he came forward and appreciated our films. After that even I got strength and talked to him. Now whatever I feel I go straight and he gave me space to say anything to him. He said you don't need to change yourself. You don't need to do chamchagiri. No need to say good thing about bad thing to just impress him. Actually bada aadmi bada hota hai and I was small so my ego was big. As I was small my ego didn't allow me to let it go.
According to you the good and worse changes in film industry?
There is lot of changes. The biggest change was when sound came. The next big change was when colour came. The third biggest change was when it got digital.
Worse: the people today will miss the purity of film making. Earlier people use to sell their house and everything for films. After digitalisation film will be finished. The enjoyment of watching the film in theatre will go. This is a drawback.
Apart from your film how you will define other director film?
Everyone has made a good film. After looking at others I found my story to be most weak.
Whose story is most powerful according to you? The bravest film is Karan Johar film. It is very brave and very honest film and it will pinch you. The most sensitive film is Zoya's film and after watching that you can say only a woman can make this film. After certain point it will make you cry.
Earlier there was film with 10 short stories but it failed but this film has lot of expectations?
Because there is one thing which binds here. In that 10 stories it was very brave experiment of Sanjay Gupta. In this film there is a theme.
In coming time the demand of short film will increase?
It is already increased. As the screen will reduced in size the demand of short film will increase.
Do you believe in star value?
Star is required by every society need not just films. It could be cricket, business, and politician. Everyone wants inspiration. No society will survive until and unless it has star. To be depended on star for our film business is not good for the quality of the film.
You and Dibakerji have taken a step?
We have not taken the steps. We didn't have any option.  The film we made that was not believed by the mainstream filmmakers. So we have to make film outside the system in fewer amounts. Today i am making Bombay velvet without ranbir i can't make it.
You said Bombay Velvet cannot be made without Ranbir Kapoor?
The film is same but because of Ranbir Kapoor the film got the budget. With his entrance in the film there is no change and that is the magic of it.
There is a revolution in terms of film making so are you a part of revolution or the initiator of revolution?
I think I am part of it. I don't think i am an initiator.  The seed was reaped by banded queen.  You call it revolution or the disease of making good film. It traveled from shekhar kapoor via ram gopal verma via us it reached.  We are just a part of it. shekhar kapoor has reap the seeds. Ram gopal verma has developed
and we are the fruits.
How much Anurag has changed now?
I don't see myself.  I want to know what I do next. I don't want to be a poster boy. I don't like to see myself.
How you deal with failure of you films?
I have a good survival instinct. And I will survive. I fight with everyone my surrounding, my atmosphere.
Have you paid a price of being famous?
Yes people write anything. That's the biggest price we pay. When constantly you're private life is discussed and people make assumption it is the costliest price you pay.
Who is the biggest competitor of Anurag Kashyap?
Everybody. The youngest filmmakers are the biggest competitors. In the race running is important not the winning. I don't want to be 1st. I want to be 3rd or 4th because the 1st one beat fast and out of the game soon. So I just want to run.
Now audience have lot of expectation from you so how you going to fulfil that?
Audience expectation is the biggest enemy of the filmmaker. I don't care about the audience expectations and I do what I want to do.
Upcoming projects?
Besharam shooting will start in June and end in Nov or Dec.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!