Searching...
Saturday 16 November 2013

Sachin Tendulkar's final Test - India v West Indies: as it happened

Follow over-by-over commentary for Sachin Tendulkar's final Test as India play West Indies at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, on Friday, Nov 15 2013.

Sachin Tendulkar fall short of century in final Test match but India maintain control against West Indies in Mumbai 07.17 So, Sachin leaves international cricket with a modest record: 664 matches, 34357 runs, 164 fifties and 100 hundreds. He was - how weird to use the past tense - a divine fusion of talent and temperament who had a unique impact on his nation and his sport; an immortal who retained his humanity throughout. Thanks for your company; bye.
07.15 "I know my speech is getting long but this is the last thing I want to say. I want to thank the people who have supported me endlessly, whetner I scored a zero or a hundred-plus. I've met so many people who have fasted for me, prayed for me, done so many things for me. I want to thank you from the bottom of the heart. Time has flown by, but the memories will be with me forever. Especially "Sachin! Sachin!" That will reverberate in my ears until I stop breathing. Thank you very much. If I missed out a few names I hope you understand. Goodbye."
He signs the TV camera, takes a swig of water and rejoins his teammates. He still looks staggeringly composed; it's quite incredible. It's easy to get carried away at times like this - and that's what we're paid to do - but that was speech was so impressive in its clarity and composure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!