Searching...
Tuesday 26 February 2013

Super Somdev sets up Del Potro date

Somdev Devvarman Every time Somdev Devvarman steps on the court, he does so with a fiery commitment that stems from his never-say-die spirit as a competitor and as an Indian star fighting his way back with an injury protected ranking.
On Monday night, as a small group of Indians stayed back after the Roger Federer encounter to join a couple of Indian players in supporting Somdev, the 28year-old did not let them down, as he blew away Russian qualifier Igor Kunitsyn 6-1, 6-4 to storm into the second round of the Dubai Duty Free tennis championship.
Having lost all his previous three outings against the 114-ranked player, Somdev, who last played Kunitsyn in an away Davis Cup tie in 2010, showed maturity and spunk as he went about his job.
Somdev, who has never gone past the second round at the event, will be up against world No.7 Juan Martin del Potro, who fought his way past Marcos Baghdatis. The big-built Argentine, the fourth seed here, ousted Baghdatis 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4) after an intense battle which went the distance.
Ranked 315 in the world, Somdev, playing short points on his service games, was off to a blazing start, which saw Kunitsyn rooted to his position for the better part of the first set. The dominant Somdev dropped just two points on his serve in the first set and only dropped serve in the fourth game of the second set after he had broken Kunitsyn in the first game.
With the windy night offering little help to the players, Kunitsyn did raise his game and tried his best to come back into the match, but Somdev held court as he broke Kunitsyn in the seventh game before serving out the match in the tenth.
A visibly relieved Somdev later said, “The last couple of days I had been practicing in the sun, and the ball is so different to play during the day and at night, but I'm happy to fight through and get a win.“
When asked if the ongoing impasse between the play ers and the AITA affects him on court, the man who is leading the Indian players' fight for their rights, said, “It doesn't bother me when I'm on the court. It almost gives me a better mindset. I have absolutely no regrets about what I'm saying or I'm doing.
“I'm very clear with what I want to do, and I think that's almost an easier way to do it. I know for a fact that the players are all behind me. For me, it's like the easiest thing to do because in my mind I'm doing the right thing. I sleep great at night. I have absolutely no problems being honest.“
Djokovic puts out Troicki Title favourite and World No.1 Novak Djokovic began his campaign with a comfortable 6-1, 6-4 win over compatriot and good friend Victor Troicki.
With a packed stadium rooting for him 25-year-old Serbian entered the round of 16 in just over an hour.
Meanwhile, switching from indoor courts to hardcourt was never going to be easy for del Potro in his opening round. The World No.7 who won the Rotterdam indoor title last month, saved three match points in the 10th game of the decider to overpower a spirited challenge from Cypriot Baghdatis.
Speaking about his second round contest against Somdev, the 24-year-old del Potro said, “The match is going to be completely different. Devvarman plays slowly but different, slices and drop shots, so I have to be focused to that and play my game.“
In other action, Russian veteran Nikolay Davydenko clinched an upset win over sixth seed Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia with a 6-0, 7-5 verdict.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!